Skip to main content

Let Them Eat Cake

One of the reasons I have been MIA lately is because I was busy getting ready to make a wedding cake for a friend's wedding.  It was a long, stressful process that I'm so glad is over.  Almost every month in May was devoted to prepping for it and I'd been testing cake and frosting recipes for 6-8  months prior.  

I baked all the cakes the weekend before the wedding and froze them.  I baked every day for four days (it was Memorial Day weekend).  I had no idea how long it would take to bake all the layers and I baked extras just in case.

Baking Day

The wedding cake was three layers and square.  There was a 6", 10" and 14" layer.  Square cakes suck.  I don't ever want to do one again. When I signed up for this gig, the original plan was for a round cake but the changed their minds.

Practice layer I made the weekend before the wedding.

I took the day off before the wedding because I wanted to get most everything done that day.


 Just getting started.

By the end of the day, all of the layers were iced and ready to go.  And I had cake everywhere.  Did I mention that my kitchen is tiny?  Because it is and that made everything so much harder.

 Cake on the counter


  Cake in the fridge

The day of the wedding, I stacked the bottom two layers, put on the ribbon and did some of the piping.  I did not put the top layer on until I got the venue.  And I'm so glad I didn't because that sucker was HEAVY.  My arms were shaking so bad by the time I got to the venue (I was lucky to have a friend help me deliver!).

 Half done!

I will say that I am not at all happy with the final product.  I felt really good about it when I went to bed Friday night and then when I looked at everything on Saturday, I just wasn't thrilled.  I didn't have a lot of options to fix it or redo things because my babysitter fell through and I was stuck trying to finish the cake with my toddler running around (the hubs was gone because he was in the wedding).

Anyway here is the finished product:

  
There were a lot of compliments on it and evidently people thought it was delicious.  There were lots of people asking about it so I guess that's a good thing but I couldn't help but see every single flaw and it still upsets me.  But live and learn, right? I guess?  

Anyway, in the future, I will just stick with birthday cakes for Julia because if I don't like them, I can throw them out. 

Comments

  1. I'm impressed! I think the cake turned out really well. Of course, it reminds me a bit of my wedding cake, so I may be a bit partial to the design!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?