Skip to main content

Review: "Picnic at the Iron Curtain" by Susan Viets



From Goodreads:  Welcome to the world of collapsing Communism. It is the eve of the fall of the Berlin Wall when people are still willing to risk all to cross the Iron Curtain to the West. In this adventure-packed memoir Susan Viets, a student turned journalist, arrives in Communist Hungary in 1988 and begins reporting for the Guardian, not at all prepared for what lies ahead. She helps East Germans escape to the West at a picnic, moves to the Soviet Union where she battles authorities for accreditation as the first foreign journalist in Ukraine and then watches, amazed, as the entire political system collapses. Lured by new travel opportunities, Viets shops her way across Central Asia, stumbling into a tank attack in Tajikistan and the start of the Tajik civil war. "Picnic at the Iron Curtain" shows every day people at the centre of dramatic events from Budapest to Bishkek and Chernobyl to Chechnya. It is a memoir that spans a period of momentous historical change from 1988-1998, following through with an eyewitness account of Ukraine's Orange Revolution in 2004.

My Thoughts: This book appealed to me because of my interest in all things Russia and Eastern Europe.  Ms. Viets, in her role as a journalist, had a front row seat to the fall of communist Eastern Europe and details these events in Picnic at the Iron Curtain.  She travels through Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, Central Asia, and Bosnia and describes the good, the bad and the ugly as life as people knew it changed forever.  

I really enjoyed this book.  It was fascinating to see these events take place through the eyes of someone from the 'West'.  Ms. Viets had some really interesting experiences and she tells them in such detail that you can almost 'see' what she is describing. This book was very readable; it read like a work of fiction which added to the enjoyability of the story.  Her discussions of life in Ukraine appealed to me the most and it saddened me that Ukraine is still dealing with many of the issues she mentioned were occuring there over 20 years ago.  She also discusses events in Bosnia; the section on Bosnia was so heart-breaking.  I feel like the war in Bosnia is kind of forgotten and I was glad that it was mentioned in great detail.  I was also very intrigued by the people she met.  Many of the people she encountered seemed so kind and friendly and it seemed that Ms. Viets found friends wherever she went.  She mentioned that she wondered if people back home would be as friendly to strangers and I kind of have to wonder the same thing.

Picnic at the Iron Curtain is a thoroughly enjoyable read that I would recommend to anyone.  4 stars.

Comments

  1. The current messages from Eastern Europe are far from favorable. I would like to read something that sheds some light on the people there. Something different than what the news says. I will certainly check this out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?