Skip to main content

Review: "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare


From Goodreads:  When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My Thoughts:  I am way late to the party on this series.  I picked this book up before reading The Mortal Instruments series but decided to wait on it for a while.  Big mistake.  I liked this book so much more than City of Bones.  I am not saying I disliked The Mortal Instruments series, but Clockwork Angel just appealed to me more.  The story was action packed and I really couldn't put it down.  I loved that it was set in Victorian England (I am a sucker for historical fiction) but it was hard to imagine female Shadowhunters in that era.  I kept trying to imagine a woman fighting demons in a Victorian era dress, it was kind of a funny picture.  Also, the idea of these clockwork people/robots was a little strange for me (I've never read any steampunk before) but was a nice change of pace from just vampires, werewolves and fairies.

The characters in this story were great.  I felt like they were all just mysterious enough to make me want to know more about them.  I liked that a lot of the characters in this book were the ancestors of the characters in the other series and also loved that Magnus Bane made an appearance.  I really like him as a character and it was fun to see him in a different context.  I don't love that a love triangle is forming in the story but I guess I will have to deal with it.  I really can't wait to read the next book; so many questions were left unanswered and I am hoping that I will get to find out more about Tessa's parents in the next book.  4 stars.

Comments

  1. I know that I'm a little late in commenting here, but I completely agree with your review. I do like Jace & Clary's story (a lot even), but I absolutely love the trilogy stories. Have you read Clockwork Prince yet? I really think it's my favorite out of all of Clare's books so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Clockwork Prince on my shelf to read right now. It's next on my list and I am really excited to read it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?