Skip to main content

Review: "The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King


From Goodreads:  After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

My Thoughts:  I can't believe I put off reading this for so long!  I read The Gunslinger about a year ago and then bought The Drawing of the Three soon after.  I wasn't a huge fan of The Gunslinger so it, obviously, took me a long time to pick up the next book in the Dark Tower series.  Needless to say, I was surprised to find how quickly I got sucked into this book.  It's definitely weird and I swear Stephen King had to have been high when he wrote it, but the story is really good.  There is a lot more action in this book than in the first and you don't have to spend the entire story inside Roland's head.  The new characters introduced, Eddie and Odetta/Detta, are incredibly well-developed and really interesting.  Okay, Odetta/Detta is scary as hell but still a fascinating character.  Eddie was also a great character who definitely redeemed himself in my eyes; he seemed like a punk in the beginning but as I learned more about him, I came to like him.  It was also neat to see how all the new characters in this story intertwined with each other and with characters in the first Dark Tower book.   I do have to say that, once again, Stephen King created a truly evil character in Jack Mort.  That dude was messed up!  I don't know how King thinks up these terrible human beings but he is so good at it.

If you have read the first book in the Dark Tower series and aren't sure if you want to continue, I highly recommend reading this book.  I enjoyed it way more than The Gunslinger and am really glad I read it.  Now on to the third book!  4 stars.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this review! I too finished The Gunslinger and didn't really like it. I have heard the series is great but after the first one, I've been debating reading the next one. I will give it a shot!
    Thanks again,
    Mibo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?