Skip to main content

Review: "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant


From Goodreads:  Her name is Dinah. In the Bible, her life is only hinted at in a brief and violent detour within the more familiar chapters of the Book of Genesis that are about her father, Jacob, and his dozen sons. Told in Dinah's voice, this novel reveals the traditions and turmoils of ancient womanhood--the world of the red tent. It begins with the story of her mothers--Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah--the four wives of Jacob. They love Dinah and give her gifts that sustain her through a hard-working youth, a calling to midwifery, and a new home in a foreign land. Dinah's story reaches out from a remarkable period of early history and creates an intimate connection with the past. Deeply affecting, The Red Tent combines rich storytelling with a valuable achievement in modern fiction: a new view of biblical women's society.

My Thoughts: 
I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this book.  I had heard good things about and picked it up multiple times but never got around to reading it.  I really wish I hadn’t put it off for so long because I really enjoyed it.  I loved seeing the story of Jacob and his sons as told by a woman (Jacob’s daughter, Dina) and it was interesting to see that the author didn’t make Joseph into this amazing person.  Joseph was almost one of the many villains in the story which goes against everything I was always taught as a kid which I think is great.  This was a very unique story of women in ancient Canaan and it was so fascinating to see the customs of the time and how everyday life was for women.  I felt like Dinah was such a strong character and I found myself not being able to put the book down because I wanted to see what would happen to her next.  The writing in this book is excellent and made the story that much more enjoyable.  This was definitely an excellent read.  4 stars.


Comments

  1. I have had this one on my bookshelf for a really long time. I hope I find time to read it soon, it sound like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite books. I know it's not the best written, or most literary book in the world, but I just really love the story of the women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this first half of this, although I wasn't a huge fan of how it changed when the story moved to Egypt. It has been several years since I've read it, I think back in high school, so I'd love to be able to go back and reread it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review and Giveaway: "Distant Signs" by Anne Richter

Synopsis: Distant Signs is an intimate portrait of two families spanning three generations amidst turbulent political change, behind and beyond the Berlin Wall. In 1960s East Germany, Margret, a professor’s daughter from the city, meets and marries Hans, from a small village in Thuringia. The couple struggle to contend with their different backgrounds, and the emotional scars they bear from childhood in the aftermath of war. As East German history gradually unravels, with collision of the personal and political, their two families’ hidden truths are quietly revealed. An exquisitely written novel with strongly etched characters that stay with you long after the book is finished and an authentic portrayal of family life behind the iron curtain based on personal experience of the author who is East German and was 16 years old at the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why do families repeat destructive patterns of behaviour across generations? Should the personal take precedence over

Top Ten Books I Recommend The Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish . This week's topic:  Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most 1.) The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons   2.) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon           If you read my blog at all, you know I love these two books so much!  I am not afraid to suggest them to anyone who I think might enjoy them. 3.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was definitely recommending this book left and right when the first movie came out. 4.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 5.) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin           These are two books that I just recently started recommending but they are books that can appeal to anyone so they are easy picks when someone asks for a recommendation. 6.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  - I get a little embarrassed when I recommend this book to people but seriously, just because it has vampires does not mean it is like Twilight. 7.) The Giver by Lois

Book Blog Hop (11)

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at Crazy for Books .  It's a way to meet other bloggers and check out some cool new blogs. This week's question is:  "Highlight one book you have received this week that you can't wait to dig into!" Okay, I have a confession to make.  I have been so busy this week that I have not had time to get any new books.  I have several waiting for me at the library but I won't be able to pick them up until this weekend.  : ( Did you all get any exciting new books this week?